How to prepare White Sauce? – Viji’s Food Recipes
21/04/2010 Leave a comment
White Sauce 300ml
Refined flour – 15 gm
Fat (Butter or Margarine) – 15 gm
Liquid (Milk and Stock) – 300ml
Pepper and Salt to taste
- Heat milk and stock. Remove and keep hot.
- Melt the fat in a pan.
- Add flour. Mix smoothly and cook over gentle heat. (2 to 3 min) without discolouring.
- Remove from heat. Add the liquid, a little at a time to the roux until mixture is light and creamy. Stir all the time (if the liquid is not added gradually lumps are formed).
- Add remaining liquid and mix thoroughly.
- Return to heat and bring to boil stirring well all the time.
- Continue boiling and stirring for 4 to 5 minutes, to cook flour thoroughly. If the boiling is not continued the sauce will be raw in flavour and dull instead of glossy. Season carefully.
N.B – The liquid depends on the kind of food with which the sauce is to be served.
For Meat : Half milk and half stock or pot liquor.
For Fish : Half milk and half fish stock.
For Vegetables : Half milk and half vegetable stock.
For Sweets : Milk or Milk and water