How to Make Scalloped Oysters? – Viji’s Food Recipes – International Popular Fish Recipes
21/07/2010 1 Comment
1 Pint shucked Oysters
1 1/2 Cups whole kernel corn (about 4 ears) or 1 can (12 ounces) Whole kernel corn drained
Small Yellow Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
1 Small Sweet Red Pepper,cored,seeded and finely chopped
Light cream – 1/2 cup
Minced parsley – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
Hot red pepper sauce – 1/8 tsp
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted Butter or Margarine
2 cups saltine cracker crumbs
- Drain the oysters, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquor and chop coarsely, set aside. In a medium size bowl, mix the corn, onion, red pepper, cream, parsley, salt, black pepper, and the hot red pepper sauce, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Remove from heat, add the cracker crumbs and mix well.
- In 6 greased scallop shells or 4 greased 1 3/4 cup casseroles, alternate 3 layers of crumbs with 2 layers of oysters and 2 of corn mixture, beginning and ending with the crumbs. Pour a little oyster liquor over each.
- At this point the oysters can be stored. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Or cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil, label and freeze for 1 month at 0′ F.
- Preheat the oven to 375′ F. Bake the scallop shells, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes (the casseroles, un covered, for 20 to 25 minutes) or until brown and bubbling. Serves 6 as a first course, 4 as an entrée.
From Refrigerator: Remove the plastic wrap and proceed as in step 5.
From Freezer: Remove foil. Bake the scallop shells, uncovered, at 375′ F for 30 to 35 minutes (the casseroles at 425′ F for about 40 minutes) Or until golden and bubbling.
To microwave / Casserole: Remove foil and cover with plastic wrap vented at one side. Microwave on low (30% power) for 5 minutes. Microwave on high (100% power) for 2 minutes. Rotate casserole 90 degrees and microwave on high (100% power) 1 1/2 minutes more. Let stand 1 minute, then run under the broiler to brown.